Close this search box.


ALERT: Changes Coming to Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program Coverage

Do you or a family member currently have health coverage through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)? If so, you may need to take steps to find out if you (or your family member) can continue that coverage after the COVID-19 public health emergency (PHE) ends. Throughout the pandemic, regular Medicaid/CHIP eligibility renewals were paused and states were required to maintain continuous coverage for everyone enrolled. State Medicaid and CHIP offices have now resumed eligibility reviews and, as of April 1, states are allowed to disenroll people determined no longer eligible for Medicaid or CHIP coverage. Because each state has its own process for re-determining the eligibility of its enrollees, depending on where you live, you may have already been notified of an upcoming renewal or you may not hear from your Medicaid office for a few months.

People living with vasculitis need continuous health insurance coverage so they can see their physicians regularly and access the services and medications they need. If you are currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, here are some steps you can take to help ensure you don’t lose your health coverage:

  • Make sure your contact information is up to date with your state Medicaid office. You can update this information by phone or using an online account with the Medicaid office’s website.
  • Keep an eye out for notices from your state Medicaid office. Depending on your state, notices may be sent by mail, email, phone, or text message.
  • Complete and return any paperwork requested by your state Medicaid office. Although documentation requirements vary, states usually want to verify your income, address, and number of dependents. If you do not submit the required paperwork before a specified deadline, you risk being disenrolled from coverage.

What if you are told that you no longer qualify for Medicaid or CHIP coverage?

If you’re notified that your Medicaid coverage has been terminated but think you continue to qualify, make sure you did not lose coverage inappropriately. Contact your state Medicaid office and find out how to appeal a termination of coverage.

If you are no longer eligible for Medicaid or CHIP due to changes in income, you may be able to purchase subsidized health coverage through an online Affordable Care Act marketplace administered in your state or at Importantly, many enrollees can find marketplace plans that cost less than $10 per month. And ninety percent of people selecting marketplace plans in 2023 qualified for subsidized coverage.

If you are employed, you may be able to get new coverage from your employer. It is important that you reach out to your human resources department within 60 days of losing Medicaid coverage to inquire about employer-sponsored coverage. If you’re married, your spouse may want to ask their employer about potential coverage options. If you’re an adult under 26 years of age, you may also be able to switch to your parents’ health plan.

For more information:

Contact your state Medicaid office or visit for more information about Medicaid and CHIP renewals.
Call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 or visit to get details about marketplace plan coverage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *